BACK…(again)… with a crossstitch finish and a WIP

I seem to be making a lot of these posts that start “Well it’s been a while” or similar, so I won’t make one again.

Instead I just wanted to pop by and show you what I’m working on at the moment and my most recently finished piece. I have a few other finishes as well but I’ll show you them later.

My current WIP is Joan Elliott’s Victorian Christmas Lady from Cross Stitch Collection issue 202.

Photobucket

I’m stitching her on white 32-count DMC linen.I started her at the beginning of the year, but then I lost my stitchy bug for a while and didn’t do any stitching, so I haven’t made a lot of progress.

Here is my progress from a few days back, I have a bit more done now.
Photobucket

My finish was just a random small project, I had ordered some samples from Kate @ Sparklies as I was looking for some fabric for a new start (more on that at a later date). One of the samples I’d ordered was Dark Goddess, and it just screamed out at me to e used for something. I had recently been looking through my The Gift of Stitching Magazine issues and added a few projects to my must stitch list. Of course the fabric was only big enough for a small design and I wanted it to be monochrome, so I decided on a beautiful rose chart by Kristin Edwards from Issue 4 of the magazine. It was designed to be done in pinks and green, but I decided to just do it in DMC Blanc as the fabric added plenty of color to the design.

Photobucket

I’m not 100% happy with it, in the cut work areas and the other border I should have used perle floss for better coverage, also I think I would have done the outer border stitch over more than just 2 threads of the fabric if I had realized how hard it would be to poke the ends in. All in all though I do like it and it will probably end up as a card to someone.

Advertisements

February Christmas Ornament Complete

Finished stitching my Christmas Ornament for February today. I chose a design from Issue 34 of The Gift of Stitching (the 2008 ornament issue), figured it’s about time I started stitching designs from all those back issues 🙂 The design I settled on was Gingerbread House Ornament by Olive Dyck of Olive Hope Design.
I used some of my hand dyed Polstitches fabric stash, Summer Breeze I think, 28 count evenweave. And I made up the floss colors from my own stash; the two browns of the gingerbread house was Weeks Dye Works Cocoa and Chestnut, the tree was done in Dragonfloss Holly Leaves and Wood Elf, and snow/frosting in Kreinik Very Fine Braid (#4) 032. The candy-cane was done in DMC Blanc and 321, and the yellow of the moon and windows was Madeira Silk 0114. The beads (supposed to look like Smarties on a gingerbread house) were various from my collection of Gütermann Beads and cheapy ones I picked up on Abu Dhabi, not entirely happy with them, but it will make for a fun and colorful ornament.

Photobucket\

Tune back next month for the March ornament, this time from Issue 35 of The Gift of Stitching.

Copyright © 2007-2011 Line Sletvold Finnan
wordpress visitor counter