Stitchy Saturdays – Some Finishes

As you know I had promised my mum that I’d make her a wall hanging mail organizer (surely there must be an easier way of say that!), in any case I finished the stitching with only a few hiccups, but really struggled when it came to finishing it off.
In the end I cheated, I found this beautiful place mat at John Lewis and since the dimensions were sort of what I had in mind I just attached the stitching as a pocket on the place mat. I had already bought a hanger from the RICO Collection and to attach the place mat to the hanger I made some loops at the top using some suitable ribbon. I’m really pleased with this one, probably one of my nicer finishes, in fact I might make one for myself.

Photobucket

Here is a closer look

Photobucket

At the end of March I signed up for a bookmark exchange with one of my facebook groups. I decided to stitch a Lizzie*Kate pattern I received from a friend, it’s called Peep. I found some hand dyed evenweave (28 count I think) from Polstitches and matched the floss I had as closely as I could to the charted DMC colors (I was missing a couple). After I finished stitching I mounted it on some white self-adhesive felt, but I forgot to take a picture before sending it off. Here it is though before I mounted it on the felt.

Photobucket

Here is a closer look at the cute chick 🙂

Photobucket

I also finished April’s Christmas ornament. I stitched one of the Little House Needleworks (LHN) ornaments from 2010 – Frosty Flakes. I didn’t have the charted colors so I matched them up as closely as I could. For the scarf I had the suggested dmc floss, but I wanted it to look more like the hand dyed so I used two different colors together. I think it turned out rather well. The ornament was stitched on 32-count DMC raw linen, one of my favorite fabrics.

Photobucket

I stitched the snowman in white together with some Kreinik blending filament (pearl), and his yellow nose is stitched in Madeira silk

Photobucket

Lastly I stitched up these Mackintosh Roses, the charts were out of one of my Zweigart booklets (the Rose one). I used the same fabric as i did for the bookmark, but quite a subtle part of it color wise. And I stitched the roses in Victoria Clayton HDF silks Victorian Mauve and Tigerlily. I loved stitching with them, they didn’t tangle or any thing. I’ll make it up into a card, not sure who for yet though.

Photobucket

While stitching I definitely thought the purple Victorian Mauve looked best, but looking at it now I love the different colors in Tigerlily.

Photobucket

Advertisements

February Christmas Ornament Complete

Finished stitching my Christmas Ornament for February today. I chose a design from Issue 34 of The Gift of Stitching (the 2008 ornament issue), figured it’s about time I started stitching designs from all those back issues 🙂 The design I settled on was Gingerbread House Ornament by Olive Dyck of Olive Hope Design.
I used some of my hand dyed Polstitches fabric stash, Summer Breeze I think, 28 count evenweave. And I made up the floss colors from my own stash; the two browns of the gingerbread house was Weeks Dye Works Cocoa and Chestnut, the tree was done in Dragonfloss Holly Leaves and Wood Elf, and snow/frosting in Kreinik Very Fine Braid (#4) 032. The candy-cane was done in DMC Blanc and 321, and the yellow of the moon and windows was Madeira Silk 0114. The beads (supposed to look like Smarties on a gingerbread house) were various from my collection of Gütermann Beads and cheapy ones I picked up on Abu Dhabi, not entirely happy with them, but it will make for a fun and colorful ornament.

Photobucket\

Tune back next month for the March ornament, this time from Issue 35 of The Gift of Stitching.

Copyright © 2007-2011 Line Sletvold Finnan
wordpress visitor counter