January Biscornu and Christmas Ornament finished

Another couple of finishes, my biscornu and Christmas ornament for January. As I mentioned before the ornament will not be finished ‘finished’ for a few months, I plan on having a finishing day once I have a few more stitched up.

The biscornu is a Faby Reilly freebie design. I stitched it on some of the 16-count zweigart cream gold flecked aida I got for the wedding project, I’m amazed I still have some left although there isn’t much now. For floss I used two different DMC colour variations, and a blue Madeira silk. I also used some Gütermann Beads (9/0-9904) at the end of the flakes and around the edge. It took an awful long time to bead the edge, but it think it was worth it. Predicable I’ll be doing a Valentine’s themed biscornu for February, just have to decide on a design now. I have done one, but it’s for an exchange.


My Christmas ornament was a freebie by The Sampler Girl, it’s called Christmas Eve Flight and can be found on her blog. I stitched it on 32-count flax Belfast linen, using Weeks Dye Works – Chestnut for the reindeer, Dragonfloss – Blood Ruby for the text and 2 DMC Colour Variations for the snowflakes.



Christmas Round Robin

As I think I’ve mentioned I’ve joined a Christmas Round Robin as well as the unthemed one. This one is a little special in that we will have two themes within the wider theme of Christmas.

The first one the piece owner chooses, and two more squares are stitched with this theme. The second theme one of the other stitchers decide and two more stitch this theme as well. So when you get your piece back it will be a bit of a surprise to see what other theme has been chosen.

For my piece I chose Christmas trees as my theme, and here is what my contribution looks like.


It’s a freebie from a French blog, which you can find here.
I stitched it using Dragonfloss – 206 Wood Elf and Dragonfloss – 212 Blood Ruby, 1 over 1 on 28-count pearl flecked white brittney evenweave. If I was to stitch the tree again I think I might go with a lighter green, Wood Elf looks very dark, but all in all I love it. I’ve got a better picture on my camera, this one was taken with hubbys iPhone so the quality isn’t all that, and I’ll swap them as soon as the camera ones have been loaded up.

It was my first experience with brittney, and while I didn’t love it as much as 25 count Lugana it was still great to work with. the problem I had wasn’t with the holes being to small, more that the weave seemed more uneven than lugana. Maybe it’s the weaved in sparklies fault.

I did try and add extra sparkle, with blending filament on the baubles but even with blending filament it was too bulky over 1 on 28 count. Plus the fabric sparkles enough I guess.

Copyright © 2007-2011 Line Sletvold Finnan
wordpress visitor counter