Tree of Stitches – Finished a long time Ago

I actually finished Abi Gurden’s Tree of Stitches back in October, it was even before my camera broke so I had pictures of it, but for some reason I never posted them.
Well today is your lucky day, not only will you get to see the finished masterpiece (modesty is my middle name), but I even have a not seen before WiP picture to show you (exciting stuff, I know).

When we left off (back on September 5th) I had finished parts 1-6. Here are the next 2 stitches/part, part 7 – Jerusalem Stitch and part 8 – Floral Stith.

Photobucket

Photobucket

After that it would appear that I just got too lazy to chronicle my TOS adventure, and the next picture I have is of the completed tree, with it’s furry and feathered friends. My White Tree of Gondor (sort of).

Photobucket

The stitches that make up the rest of the tree are (in order from Floral stitch): Norwich stitch, Star Stitch, Rhodes square Stitch, Fancy Cross, Tied Windmill Stitch and Leaf Stitch.
Lester and Horace (owl and bunny) are made up of Straight Stitches, Knit Stitch, Oval and Octagonal Rhodes Stitch.

And here is a recap on the material used.
Fabric – Polstitches 32-count evenweave (possibly The Deep)
Tree Trunk – DMC Satin 415
Rest of the Tree – Caron Waterlilies Quicksilver
Horace and Lester – Caron Waterlilies Green Tea

I haven’t done anything with my finished tree, it’s rolled up with my other finishes longing for some attention. I’m planning to give them some very soon!

I’m also planning another tree, possibly in autumn colours or a Weirwood Tree from Game of Thrones, I like the white bark and blood red leaves look. I’ll let you know when I’ve decided

Advertisements

April WIPocalypse

I’ve been such a bad WIPocalypser, totally MIA since the first check-in in January. And I don’t even have a lot of work to show from my long absence, my stitchy bug went away on holiday as well.

However I do have a few WIPs to show you, I even managed a few finishes but I can’t show them yet.

My first progress picture is of my Joan Elliott design, which I first show you back in January, and then again a few days ago. I’ve managed to work on it a little bit more since then.

Photobucket

Joan Elliott – Victorian Christmas Lady
stitched on 32-count white linen using DMC

Back in January I started Abi Gurden’s The Great Escape, I’m still umm-ing and ahh-ing over where I will stitch the whole design. I’ll definitely finish the owl, but I’m not sure about the rest of it. I’m finding these stitches a bit harder too do than the specialty stitches for The Tree of Stitches (which reminds me, I should probably show you my finished tree), although not really because they are hard in themselves but because their placement is so important. I am enjoying it though and have recently finished Part III, which means the stitches I’ve learned so far are Montenegrin stitch, Feather stitch, Basque stitch, Sorbello stitch and Cretan Catch.

Photobucket

Abi Gurden – The Great Escape
stitched on 35-count Sparklies Shades of Autumn
using Nina’s Threads Eggplant

My last progress picture is a small design I picked up at a charity shop. It’s quite an old design, from 1986 by Chloe Designs, and it doesn’t have a name just a number (I think) 0-18. The kit came with aida, but I prefer evenweave and used a piece which was teadyed at the same time as the one I used for LHN’s Two Sheep.

Photobucket

Chloe Design – 0-18
stitched with 28-count teadyed evenweave
unknown floss

Crossstitch WIP – Abi Gurden’s Tree of Stitches

A few weeks ago I heard about this SAL called Tree of Stitches, intrigued I headed over to the The Stitch Specialist group, to have a look and I was instantly hooked. The SAL had already run it’s course when I found out about it, so I got to download all 15 parts at the same time.

The tree is made up of 15 different types of stitches, a great learning piece, I’m having so much fun with it.

When I heard about it and saw other peoples trees I got a very clear idea of how I wanted my tree to look. I had a piece of Polstitches fabric which I got in a large cuts grab bag, I think it might be The Deep, but I’m not sure, and I knew I wanted a white/gray tree, in the spirit of the White Tree of Gondor. At first I thought I’d just go for DMC color variations 4015, but then I was seduced by the wonderful Caron Waterlilies, and ended up going with Waterlilies Quicksilver, using anything between 1-3 strands to create different effects and textures.

I wanted a clear difference between the trunk and the leaves as well when it came to texture and look, and decided to stitch the trunk in satin floss, I used DMC Satin 415 which was horrible to work with, but which looked just the way I wanted it.

Here you can see it after part 1, the trunk, had been stitched using cross stitches.

Photobucket

I then stitched Part 2, Smyrna stitch, Part 3, French Knots, and Part 4, Algerian Eyelets, in quick succession, and here is how the tree looked once those were completed

Photobucket

Here is a closer look at those stitches

Photobucket

I then went on to stitch Part 5, Rice Stitch, and Part 6, Cushion stitch. The Rice stitch seemed to take me forever, but I loved the effect of the Cushion stitch. And this is how my tree currently looks

Photobucket

And a closer look at the stitches used

Photobucket

The next stitch on the agenda is Jerusalem stitch which I’ve never heard of let alone tried out before so we’ll see how it goes, I’m looking forward to it and the rest of the stitches though

Copyright © 2007-2011 Line Sletvold Finnan
wordpress visitor counter