10 Plot devices related to weather:
1. Storm during travel by sea – near death experience bonding, shipwrecked, killing off a few characters, stopping ships sailing for a battle, hiding ship that is being followed by other ship.
2. Sudden snow storm/blizzard – holed up in a cave, opportunities for one on ones, secrets coming out, nursing someone back to health. Getting lost, getting ambushed, avoid ambush and slip away from enemies.
3. Heavy rain – creates a depressing mood where secrets are confessed, making a river bigger so it cannot be forded, flood an area, make some one ill form being soaked, create a cosy homey atmosphere.
4. Very hot – no food, no drink causes irritation dissent. also hallucinations
5. Draught – set’s off the hero’s journey, family needs money, food etc so he goes off to find it.
6. Fog – good for getting lost or hiding from the enemy
7. The changing seasons (not technically type of weather) – if a journey needs to be undertaken then changing seasons puts a time pressure on it, there might be places they cannot get pas in the winter for example or rivers impossible to cross during the spring floods.
8. Hot and humid – losing patience with the cause/journey, beig fed up with each other
9. Thunder storms – hero encounters a primitive people who worship the God of Thunder etc. they try to kill him but when it start thundering think he is their God instead.
10. Floods – make the hero’s party split up, lose a character in the flood waters and everyone thinks their dead only for them to turn up again later.